Brooklyn Cyclones vs. Staten Island Yankees

As I mentioned in an earlier post. I had planned on finishing out the minor league affiliated season by going to 4 games in 4 days. My first of 4 games was my 33rd game of the year. I had not been to Staten Island all year and was sure I would not make it back to Brooklyn for another Cyclones game. So, it worked out two ways.
The Baby Bombers play at Richmond County Bank Ballpark at St. George. The stadiums construction was started in 2000 while the Baby Bombers played their first season at a local college. The stadium opened in time for the 2001 season and has been a big hit ever since.
For those who have never been to Staten Island. The ballpark is sought of a pain to get to by car. After getting off of the Verrazano Bridge you need to take Bay St. a good distance around the perimeter of the island before you get to the stadium. Another very popular way to get to the stadium is by ferry. You can take the Staten Island ferry from lower Manhattan. The terminal is right next to the stadium.
                                                             The main entrance to the park.
          The ferry arriving at the nearby terminal. As you can see the ferry is very popular since it is free.
A view of the Statue of Liberty which is across the harbor.
A shot of lower Manhattan skyline that includes the Freedom Tower. It was very hazy that day.

I had started a logo sheet for Staten Island earlier in the season and didn't get far with it. So, I started to hang out on the Staten Island side and was able to get the following players:
Giovanny Gallegos, International free agent
Charles Haslup, 26th rd in 2012
David Palladino, 5th rd in 2013
Austin "Bubba" Jones, 7th rd in 2011
Mike Ford, undrafted free agent. Signed just this season
Tyler Wade, 4th rd in 2013
Yeicock Calderon, 2 cards. International free agent
Didn't really care to much about finishing the logo. But, my first goal of the night was to get the Yankees 2013 1st round Pick Eric Jagielo. I got him on (2) 8x10's.


On the Cyclones side I had cards for Gavin Cecchini and Colton Plaia and 8x10's for L.J. Mazzili and Colton Plaia.
I finished the night with 21 autographs.

Word had also been floating around the stadium the Hideki Matsui was in the stadium. So, we were all on the look out for him outside afterward. I did confirm he was in the stadium for BP. But, had left during the game. I had spoken to one of the Cyclone's players outside.

Unfortunately while on the 4 day trip, the Cyclones got eliminated from playoff contention and that was my last NY-Penn league game for the season. I did not go to as many games as I would like. But, got to other places instead.

I will be posting soon about the other 3 games soon.

Thanks for looking and Check Back Soon!

Comments