2012 Topps Baseball Hobby Box Break

This will be a combination Box Break and a review of the new 2012 Topps Baseball Series 1. I believe Wal-Mart has had blaster boxes for sale for the last week or so. But, Hobby boxes are not scheduled to be released till tomorrow Feb 1st. But, I was able to get my hands on 1 box. I asked for more. But, there were none. I had planned on a video break. Which would have been my first. But, it did not work out.
This years hobby boxes included 24 packs, 1 autograph or Relic in each box. This year there are numerous insert/parallel sets. These set include Golden Moments, Gold Futures, Golden Greats, Gold Base, Golden Standard, Classic Walk-offs, Timeless Talents and then 3 1987 minis The relics and auto's I've heard will come fromt the Golden Moments sets. Non of which serial numbered. Then there are the black base. Which are numbered /61.
Above are some samples. These cards came out of the box I broke today. The Gallardo being the relic. Topps also added the Mickey Mantle Card No. 7 into the base set. Which I believe they have been doing for a few years now.
You will also notice in the scans, That the Marlins new logo is featured on the player cards. Not sure I will ever get used to that.

The first error card of the set has been discovered and it is Skip Schumakers base card. I happenes that I pull one.. On the back of the card. Where the stats are listed. The 3B is shown twice. Once above the column for 3B's and the other over the 2B's column, The stats for both 2B's and 3B's are different. So, I guess the stats are correct. Just the Column title is incorrect.
Ive also heard that there are SP's in the set. But, Topps has not told us how many or which cards are SP's. The only SP to be discovered is Rally Squirrel. At the moment as I'm typing this. 6 of the Rally Squirrel sold on Ebay for anywhere between $309-$611.99. There are 12 others still up with time remaining and those bids are between $103-$250 and 3 others are listed as "Buy it Now". One of them is for $999.99. WTF!!!!

Overall the cards are pretty nice. There are some great action photos. One of the photos that I noticed was Tim Hudson watching what I think is a walk-off as his teamates celebrate in the background.
I've never been a fan of the base Topps set. But, I figured I pick up a box. I may buy a few more

Here is what came out of my box other than what you see in the scans.
Gold Base are  Jaso, Ian Desmond, Anibel Sanchez, Brandon Allen, Drew Storen, David Hernandez, Delmon Young and Aaron Crow.
Gold Standards are Frank Robinson, Chipper, McCovey, Ripken Jr, and Smotlz
Gold Futures are Ackley, Dee Gordon, Pineda, Teheran and Lavarnway
Classic Walk-offs are David Ortiz, Alex Gonzalez, Bill Mazeroski and Scott Podsednik
1987 Mini's are Votto, Bourn, Tommy Hanson, A-Gon, Uggla, Victorino, Shields and Ryan Howard.
Golden Greats are Aaron, Cobb, Clemente, Pujols, Seaver and Koufax
Golden Moments are Asdrubel Cabrera, Kaline, Aparicio, Dawson, Braun, Shields and Pujols
The base worth mentioning are Romine RC, Montero RC, Jeter, Pujols, Bentances RC, Mesoraco RC and Jason Heyward.
I also broke a box of 2011 Topps Chrome. I will post the highlights tomorrow.

Comments