Savannah Sand Gnats @ Lakewood Blue Claws

Last night I took a drive to First Energy Park in Lakewood NJ, the home of the Mid Level (A) affiliates of the Phillies. The Lakewood Blue Claws play in the South Atlantic League or the Sally League for short. The Mets affiliate in the Sally League are the Savannah Sand Gnats.
I would say that 75% of the Sand Gnats are made up of the 2012 Brooklyn Cyclones and because of that I did not make a logo sheet for them. I had all of the Cyclones autographs already.
I have to say it was abit strange for me to let these guys walk by me without asking them the sign. But, the weather was threatening and I wanted to get the guys I needed and then try to get to the other side for the Blue Claws before the weather hit. There where only a few other graphers out which made things a lot easier.
But, some of the guys I would take again and so I just went with a few 8x10's, some cards and an OMLB. I got Brandon Nimmo, Eudy Pina and Jeff Glenn on 8x10's. Kevin Plawecki on 6 of his 2012 Bowman Draft cards and Frank Viola on 3 cards.
One player who I did not have already and wanted was Steven Matz. He was the starter for the Sand Gnats, he signed anyway and I got him on a OMLB.  Steven was the Mets 2nd Round pick in 2009 out of Ward Melville High School which is here on Long Island. The Mets did not have a 2009 1st round pick. I try to follow the Long Island products and since he is in the Mets system I follow him more. Steven needed Tommy John surgery in May 2010 and he missed all of 2010 and 2011 seasons and pitched in just 6 games in 2012 for Kingsport which is the Mets Appalachian League affiliate.

                               A few of the Plawecki cards are up for trade if anyone is interested.

I did get a chance to get to the Blue Claw side before the game. I only had a few 2012 Bowman Chromes and got Art Charles, 20th round in 2010 by the Blue Jays and Kevin Brady, 10th round in 2012 by the Phillies and is in the Phillies top 20 prospects.
The weather held up and after the game I waited outside for the Blue Claws and started a Logo sheet. I got the following on the Logo.
Mickey Morandini, Manager. Played 11 years in the Bigs for the the Phillies, Cubs and Blue Jays
Zach Copper, 15th round in 2012
Jeb Stafan, 22nd round in 2012
Art Charles, 20th round in 2010 by the Blue Jays
Roman Quinn, 2nd round in 2011. Listed in the Top 5 Phillies Prospects
Mitch Walding, 5th round in 2011
Carlos Tocci, He is only 17 yrs old and listed as a Phillies Top 20 prospect.
Jordan Guth, 9th round in 2012
Josh Warner
Brian Pointer, 28th round in 2010. Also got him on a 2012 Bowman Chrome and a 2012 Blue Claws team card
Steven Inch, 6th round in 2009
Chad Carman, 24th round in 2012


The rain finally came and the only player that I missed that I wanted was Willie Carmona. Willie was an 11th round pick in 2012 out of Stony Brook University. Stony Brook stunned the College baseball world last year by beating some of the College powerhouse teams to get too Omaha. They fell 1 game short of getting to the finals by losing to Florida State. Stony Brook had 8 players drafted in 33 rounds of the 2012 draft. Including a 1st round pick by the Padres, Travis Jankowski.

It was not a great night for pictures. So, I did not take many.


 Its a nice minor league stadium that you can walk all around the field. This is a shot of th score board in center from the concourse below.
                                                                    Frank Viola in the bullpen.

It was supposed to be a fireworks night. But, because of the higher than normal winds. They where cancelled. Since the fireworks got cancelled. The Blue Claws are offering tickets to another game of my choice free. I think that is a great way to get the fans back to the game. I'm going to try to get back and this time I will be more prepared for the Blue Claws.

Thanks for Reading and Check Back Soon!!!!










Comments