2013 MLB All-Star FanFest

Today (Friday) was Day 1 of the 2013 MLB All-Star Fanfest. As most of you know the 2013 All-Star game is being played at Citi Field. Each year a Fanfest is held in conjunction with the game. The Fanfest is running from today till tuesday which is the day of the game. The Fanfest is held at the Javits Convention Center which is a short walk from Penn Station in the heart of NYC.


 MLB Monster Truck
 Former Met, John Franco while on the main field playing ball with the kids
Cliff Floyd while do XM/Sirus Radio


Today the list of autograph guests was not the best. But, since they are free I did not pass most of them up. I missed John Franco, Doc Gooden Darryl Strawberry and Ed Kranepool. I have multiple autographs from all of the players already.
The first line I got on was Ed Charles. Mr. Charles played 8 years in the Major Leagues. He played in the majors from 1962-1969 and started out with the Kansas City Athletics. In 1967 he was traded to the New York Mets. He was part of the Mets team in 1969 when they won the World Series. Mr. Charles signed one of my Shea Stadium  5x7 customs.
Then I got Cliff Floyd. Cliff was a 17 year Major League Vet who played with the Expos, Marlins, Red Sox, Mets, Cubs, Rays and Padres. He was an All-Star in 2001 while playing with the Marlins. Cliff does radio for on XM/Sirus for the MLB radio network. He was not scheduled to sign. But, during each commercial break he signed. Cliff signed a Shea Stadium 5x7 custom for me.
Then I got Jack Morris. Mr. Morris was a 5th rd pick in 1976 if the Detroit Tigers. He pitched for 18 years for the Tigers, Twins, Jays and Indians. He was also a 5x All-Star. Mr. Morris was not scheduled to sign either. But, he works for MLB TV. Mr. Morris signed a OMLB on the SS for me.
The last line I got on was for Art Shamsky. Mr. Shamsky is an 8 year Major League Vet who played for the Reds, Mets, Cubs and A's. He to was part of the 1969 Mets team. He also signed a Shea Custom for me.
This year if you got an autograph from a scheduled former player. MLB was on hand to authenticate your autograph. Next to the player who signed were 2 reps from MLB who affixed a MLB logo to the item for you and the other logged the item into the MLB database. I was told they did this 2008. But, I do not recall.
So, both the Shamsky and Charles autograph have holograms attached.

There was also 3 woman who played in the All-American Womans Baseball League signing autograph.
I got all 3 on generic customs
Maybelle Blair, Mrs. Blair played in 1948 for the Peoria Redwings.
Shirley Burkovich who played in 1949 for the Muskegon Lassies, 1950 for the Springfield Sallies and in 1951 for the Rockford Peaches. Mrs. Burkovich also made a brief appearance in the movie "A League of their Own" which was made in 1992 and told the story of the 1st year of the league.
Carolyn O'Dell who was a bat girl fo the South Bend Blue Sox from 1945-1948

After Shamsky, I was walked over the MLB TV stage and then the XM/Sirus stage to see if anyone else was around to sign. There was no one. So, I decided to call it a day.
But, my autograph day was not over thanks to my urge for Starbucks. There is a Starbucks on the lower level of the convention center and as I was ordering I looked to my right and there waiting for his coffee was 10x All-Star and former Dodger and Padres 1st baseman, Steve Garvey. Mr. Garvey was a 1st rd pick in 1968 of the Dodgers and also the NL MVP and the All-Star Game MVP in 1974. In 1978 he won the All-Star MVP as well as the NLCS MVP and again won the NLCS MVP in 1984 while with the Padres. He signed a OMLB on the SS for me was very nice about.  I didn't recall seeing him on the list of players scheduled to sign and asked him about it. He said he was just added to the schedule to sign on sunday and said he came to the convention center to see it for himself. After we spoke briefly he took a picture with a woman in a wheel chair and walked away.  I wonder if he walked around the fanfest without being recognized?




Today I just read there where 3 for Negro League players who signed autograph. I wish I would have stayed for them

Tomorrow's autograph lineup looks a little better. They include Bryon Buxton and Jesse Biddle who are 2 of the minor league players scheduled to play in the Futures Game.

Comments