Something Different, Celeb Softball Game....

This past weekend I decided to try a different type of event from the typical baseball game and its an event I've been meaning to get to since I found out about it a few years ago.
An Actors and Writers Celebrity softball game is played in East Hampton. For those who are not familiar with towns and villages here on Long Island. East Hampton is one of many small villages on the south fork of Long Island that Celebrities, Athletes and other rich people flock to during the summer. East Hampton is about 105 miles or so east of NYC and about a 1 hr trip east of my house.
In the past an impressive list of Celebs have taken part of this game. Alec Baldwin, Christie Brinkley, Matthew Broderick, Cindy Crawford, Joe Torre, Jim Leyritz and John Franco to mention a handful.
The rosters are not usually released until the day before the event. So, it makes it a little tough to prepare for. This year I printed out about 8 photos of potential players who have been at the game in the last few years.
Former Met John Franco was scheduled to appear  as well as former NY Ranger Great Rod Gilbert.
Well, Franco cancelled the night before and Gilbert was a no show. Franco I've gotten many times and Gilbert who I've never gotten and was looking forward to getting.
There was a rumor that former US President Bill Clinton would make an appearance. Every time I heard a helicopter overheard I thought it would happen. But, Clinton never showed.

As for the autographs I got. The best was actor and Long Island native Alec Baldwin. Baldwin did not play in the game. He made a short appearance before the game, and did an interview and left.
Baldwin was cool, He signed for about 20 people, took pics and left.
Celebs do not have neat autographs as you can see and I expected it.

As for the other autographs I did get:
Mike Lupica on an 8x10. Lupica is an award winning Sports writer and author. Lupica also does Sports radio and TV work. Lupica was very cool and liked the photo I asked him to sign

Lori Singer on an 8x10 and a 5x7. Lori singer is most known as the lead actress in the 1984 movie Footloose. Singer played Ariel, a high school teenager in a small town in Oklahoma who becomes friends with the new kid in town, Ren who was played by Kevin Bacon.  This small town did not allow dancing till Ren and Ariel convinced the local priest who happens also to be Ariel's father to allow dancing at high school event.
Singer was also very nice and we chatted for a short time. Singer is not from Long Island and says she loves coming to Long Island for the summer

Now I need to get Kevin Bacon to finish off the 8x10

The next 2 autographs I got were on Generic Autograph cards since I was not prepared for them
Channel 2, CBC Anchor Weatherman Lonnie Quinn. Quinn is a 14x Emmy award winner for his work

Carl Bernstein, a Journalist and writer. Bernstein is most known for an article he was involved in writing for the Washington Post in 1972 about the Watergate Scandal. The scandal lead to the resignation of then US President Richard Nixon. Bernstein and Bob Woodward wrote the artical. Bernstein has also written books and currently writes for the New Yorker Magazine.

Bernstein who is 74 has a shaky hand as you can see from his autograph on the left. 

Others who attended the game were lesser known movie producers and director (Atleast to me). There was also a few local architects who attended. Most notably Peter Cook, Christie Brinkley's last husband. I guess with Cook in attendance was the reason Brinkley was a no show
A couple of other names I could have gotten were CBS News anchor Chris Wragge and Radio new anchor Juliet Papa. 

Early in the morning I realized that Joe Torre and Jim Leyritz would most likely not be at the game because it was a special day at Yankee Stadium with the 20 year celebration of the 1998 Yankee team that won the World Series.

Next year If I decide to go I will to the event later than I did. The day started off with a Kids Clinic and I expected the clinic to be run by former major league players. But, it was not. It was run by local high school kids. 

It was won of the most relaxing events I've graphed. Everyone was laid back nice about signing. I was the only serious grapher at the event. 


Thanks for Reading and Check Back Soon!!!

Comments